Friday, March 4, 2011

Today's Plant Combination


Now that I've waxed on and on about beautiful flowers, I wanted to make note of one of my favorite things to do in the landscape, which is to create great compositions strictly through the use of contrasting foliage color.  In this way, your plant palette can be enjoyed in all seasons.  Maybe a little static, yes?  But it works great in high-profile areas where you can't afford to have an "off-season."

This is one of my most favorite plant combinations.  Along the plain, white wall that approaches the front door, we used...

Anigozanthus 'Bush Diamond'
Aeonium arboreum 'Atropupureum'
Senecio mandralisceae, and
Sedum makinoi 'Ogon'


The success of this combination is almost entirely in the foliage color, although the Anigozanthus has a lovely white/light green bloom.

All of the plants are very happy in this sunny, warm and protected spot...which I hope, by the way, is where I'll be spending my weekend (and you, too!)

2 comments:

  1. Love that combination. I was looking for a little inspiration for some fairly maintenance free, low growing plants. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maybelline. To keep it lower, you could go with the Anigozanthos 'Bush Lantern' (about 12") with yellow flowers similar to the Ogon foliage, Happy planting!

    ReplyDelete